Thursday 29 July 2021

The Funniest Quotes about Books

Here are our favourite wise, witty, and true one-liners about books from writers, critics, and other notable individuals. These are the funniest quotations we the Wantate review team have ever found.

Charles Dickens: ‘There are books of which the backs and covers are by far the best parts.’

Groucho Marx: ‘From the moment I picked up your book until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Some day I intend on reading it.’

W. H. Auden: ‘One cannot review a bad book without showing off.’

G. C. Lichtenberg: ‘When a book and a head collide and a hollow sound is heard, must it always have come from the book?’

Terry Pratchett: ‘To a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be.’

Thomas Fuller: ‘Some men live like moths in libraries, not being better for the books, but the books the worse for them, which they only soil with their fingers.’

Nancy Mitford: ‘I have only ever read one book in my life, and that is White Fang. It’s so frightfully good I’ve never bothered to read another.’

Bertrand Russell: ‘There are two motives for reading a book: one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.’

Nora Ephron: ‘I always read the last page of a book first so that if I die before I finish I’ll know how it turned out.’

Henry Ward Beecher: ‘Be certain that your house is adequately and properly furnished – with books rather than furniture.’

Mark Twain: ‘“Classic”. A book which people praise and don’t read.’

For more funny content, check out Wantate today.

No comments:

Post a Comment